Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Fear comes from Lies


It's so easy for lies to seep in and steal peace and joy from me.

"When you hide your face, they are terrified; when you take away their breath, they die and return to the dust. When you send your Spirit, they are created, and you renew the face of the ground."
Psalms 104:29-30

I've realized over the last couple years that I have a fear of death. A lot of that has been taken away but there is still some there. But when I really sit down and meditate on God's goodness to me and how much He loves me and takes care of me. And then look at those verses and realize if He is the giver and the taker of our breath, then what in the world do I have to fear? But as I am not reminded of this truth day by day it is easy to forget and Satan is right there at the door of my mind and heart whispering lies to me. And because I'm not taking in this truth daily it is easy to begin to believe these lies: "You have to fend for yourself." "You're all alone." "God is too busy to care about you." "He's forgotten about you." "You're not good enough for Him...." etc. etc. etc. Now maybe I'm not actually hearing these things (although sometimes I am) but the fear I've taken in is making me believe and live these lies out in my actions. I need to be hearing truth every day to stop these lies in their tracks.

Ps Not to mention hasn't God overcome death? :)

1 comment:

Benjamin Ady said...

The title of your blog post is fascinating. I believe differently--I believe fear comes from arbitrarily chosen beliefs =).

I think you get to the heart of things when you mention fear of death--it's the one that's mostly lurking behind all the others. When I decide "It's a great day to die", then all the other smaller fears mostly go away.