Monday, February 4, 2008

Adventures in Homeschooling

So this whole homeschooling thing is really throwing me. It has been really challenging for me. I already knew this but this whole thing has really brought up the fact that I am so NOT confident in myself. I definitely know God is and will teach me so much through all of this but sometimes it hurts. So we are still in the process of piecing everything together but we are following the classical education method and are currently reading the book The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer.

Very interesting and good stuff. I find myself getting a bit (ok who am i kidding?) a lot overwhelmed at times. I was on the phone today with Ben and told him what I was struggling with and that I find myself wanting to throw the baby out with the bath water. Because I'm thinking either I'm not doing enough or I'm not doing it right. So because that MIGHT be the case we should just put them back in public school cause at least we know they'll learn there. (Yeah, I know totally irrational, but there you have it) So I was telling Ben this and then in the midst of telling him I said "Even if I just work on reading and writing with them one hour a day that is still worth it and it will still work, right?" and he said "Yeah, you're doing a great job, Kami. Keep it up." It was crazy but that was all I needed to hear and I felt better about things. Man, I might need to hear that everyday for awhile, though before I get it through my thick skull.

Gotta love growth!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

One hour a day is probably enough as long as they always have pictures of the hamburgers on the register at McDonald's.

Keri said...

You ARE doing a great job!

Love your sis

Hilary said...

Hang in there Kami!! It's amazing how just a few words of encouragement from our hubbies can turn things around. And yes, we DO need to get together again soon!!

Amber Red said...

Hey kami! I am with you and feel all the same insecurities. I just feel that overwhelming feeling that if they do not get it....some how it is my fault. have you started that book on how to teach your kid to read in 100 easy lessons? I read through the introduction but have not started yet. Sounds like it can be easy but I am just scared to start. I to would love to do the Classical education route. Do they have a curriculum that is all lined out for you or do you have to come up with it yourself? What are the ages of yours? Are you just homeschool one right now? Of course the others are learning too. Anyway would love to hear more.
Amber