Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Living Water




The following is a page taken from my journal written to God:
May 5, 2009
I keep running to all these things except You. Why do I do this? I know they won't satisfy. Or do I? It's been a difficult day and I turn to facebook. Pretty soon that's not enough so I go eat a donut. Sometimes I clean my house. What feelings am I running from? anxiousness, feeling overwhelmed, guilt
At least I'm coming to You now, but I want to stop going to those other things first. Father, please help me to stop running from You and turning to these other things. Help me stop believing the lies that these things will satisfy. They won't! Only You will satisfy. Help me to start believing this.

A woman, a Samaritan, came to draw water. Jesus said, "Would you give me a drink of water?"

The Samaritan woman, taken aback, asked, "How come you, a Jew, are asking me, a Samaritan woman, for a drink?"

Jesus answered, "If you knew the generosity of God and who I am, you would be asking me for a drink, and I would give you fresh, living water."

The woman said, "Sir, you don't even have a bucket to draw with, and this well is deep. So how are you going to get this 'living water'? Are you a better man than our ancestor Jacob, who dug this well and drank from it, he and his sons and livestock, and passed it down to us?"

Jesus said, "Everyone who drinks this water will get thirsty again and again. Anyone who drinks the water I give will never thirst-not ever. The water I give will be an artesian spring within, gushing fountains of endless life."

The woman said, "Sir, give me this water so I won't ever get thirsty, won't ever have to come back to this well again!"

John 4:7-15

I have this well of endless living water. Why am I not drawing from it?

4 comments:

Ben Crawford said...

that's awesome babes. thanks for posting that.

Unknown said...

Thank God that Rhett reads blogs and sends them along to me when I need it. :)

Kami, this is exactly what I'm dealing with. The exact same thing...but I'm still stuck in the "How will drinking your water take care of all these things that need to get done or these deadlines?" For the last two days I've felt like I'm going to have an anxiety attack and I'm just waiting for someone to come save me and rescue me from all these responsibilities. Last night I went to our city-wide worship, and I felt much better afterward, and this morning I spent some time reading God's Word, which was awesome, but as soon as I step downstairs into the disaster zone, I feel like, "What did all of that do? I still have this mess...I still have work in 30min...I still have on-the-side business responsibilities...I still have errands...and I still have a daughter who won't sleep." I just feel so consumed, but I don't know what to do or not to do.

I'm not asking for advice or ways to help, but simply wanted to share that I am definitely there too. I guess I'm simply looking for a practical understanding of how drawing from Jesus helps other than just bringing some bit of peace here and there. Keep me posted on your growth in this area.

Take care!

Grace said...

Thanks Kami (and Ang) I'm right there with you. I would write more, but I think you both summed it up pretty well.

Heather Treas said...

Man,
I love that God has put honest women in my life. The whole part about the donut...That's so true. thanks for sharing this Kami.

H